Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Leaving Las Vegas

June 23: I've had good and bad summers in Vegas. "Good" and "Bad" of course being measured by money won or lost. While I'm not much motivated by money, it is the way we keep score in poker. So what was my score? I played five different tournaments over the course of the week, and didn't manage to make any money in any of them. Disappointing, but not shocking - there is a great deal of what poker players (and statisticians) call variance in tournament poker. Over the course of my lifetime, I am well up in poker tournaments, but it's still a bit depressing to have a string of no cashes, especially at the beginning of a year with no salary!

On the cash game front, I was up and down all week, ending just slightly to the positive. The overall total would still have been in the red were it not for my friend Jim and his deep run in the World Series $1500 event. Jim had won a seat through a poker league and I bought up 5% of his action. What this means is that I gave him $75 and I was entitled to 5% of his winnings. Through excellent play and a lucky turn of the card here and there, Jim managed to make it to 76th place out of over 2600 entrants. This translated into a $6700 win and a few Benjamins in my pocket. Thanks Jim for turning a small loser of a trip into a small winner! I also got to watch my friend Rob go pretty deep into a Golden Nugget tournament and hang out with John and Justin over the course of the week. A good time as always in Vegas and I look forward to next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment