Friday, August 3, 2012

Iceland

I had a great day with my friend Karen in Massachusetts. We had a great breakfast and I enjoyed listening to that great accent. After generously picking me up, putting me up and dropping me off - I met Jen at the airport for yet another long airplane ride.


While Delta is not nearly as cush as British Airways, the flights were uneventful and we landed in Reykjavik to a brilliant blue-sky, crisp morning. As we glided across smoothly paved highway on our way into town. On one side of the bus was the blue Atlantic, on the other flat volcanic plain, strewn with chunks of rock. It was remarkably reminiscent of the plains of Amboseli National Park - without the herds of zebra of course.

Our veranda looking north
We are staying in an awesome little fourth floor flat a short 15 minute walk to the center of town. We face south west and our landlord pointed out a distant glacier across the water of the Bay south of the city. Magnificent. After quickly checking out the place, we promptly walked into town. We strolled along the waterfront enjoying the mixture of utilitarian cement and stone building mixed with very modern glass and steel buildings. The town is tiny, considering that it is a national capital. We plan to be here a couple more days and then we will rent a car and circumnavigate the island. I don't know how often we'll have internet access, but hopefully I can post an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment